The Giants didn’t have much to work with in Dallas on Thursday. Essentially half their starters were out. They put up a fight, taking a lead into the third quarter, but the Cowboys had too much firepower on both sides of the ball. They got the help on two huge calls from the officials. All of that led to a 28-20 Giants loss to their NFC East rival, dropping their second straight game and falling to 7-4 on the season.
Will the Giants crumble or will they still end up making the playoffs? We answer that and break down the Thanksgiving loss on a new episode of the “Blue Rush” podcast with Lawrence Tynes, Brandon London and me.
“Blue Rush” Podcast with Lawrence Tynes, Brandon London & Jake Brown:
- HELL OF AN EFFORT: With all the players the Giants had out, they played well and kept it close against a better Cowboys team. The Giants clearly have some depth. This could help the Giants down the road getting these young players some valuable experience in a big game.
- PHANTOM CALLS: The holding on Darnay Holmes was a terrible call. That would have been a punt if no call and instead would end up leading to a Cowboys TD. The illegal man down the field was a ticky-tack call that took an Isaiah Hodgins Giants TD off the board. Cowboys had more penalties, but the Giants penalty calls had a bigger impact on the game.
- DEFENSE: The Giants need to start getting sacks and creating negative plays. They were getting to the QB but Dak Prescott was getting rid of the ball. They also struggled against the run.
- STRUGGLING SAQUON: Tynes still believes he is playing injured and some more people seem to be jumping on that train. There’s no burst. He’s not hitting the hole. You also never see them run wildcat with Saquon. Giants are in a tough spot. Do they sign Barkley to a long-term deal? Do they let him walk and go for a cheaper option in the backfield?
- THE FUTURE OF DANIEL JONES: The debate continues every week. Do the Giants bring back Jones as their starting QB next season? Tynes says you have to re-sign Jones. Jones would have plenty of suitors in the offseason if they don’t re-sign him. Would Jones want to come back?
- PLAYOFFS: We answer questions from Giants fans on Twitter. One of those is…will the Giants end up making the playoffs? We all think they will scratch together three wins to get to 10-7 and make the playoffs.
Catch up on all episodes of “Blue Rush,” a New York Giants podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Give “Blue Rush” a 5 star rating on Apple Podcasts and Spotify and write a new review on Apple Podcasts.