From battling against enemies to building your world in a game, the fun gets multiplied when playing with friends. Well, there are many games that offer a co-op PvP experience. CS2 and Valorant are the famous titles in this genre. However, Overwatch 2, a game in a similar domain, is widely popular as well. It is altogether based on teaming up against an enemy team. However, even though it is a polished game, it has its share of issues. Well, according to recent reports, players are consistently encountering the Error Code 5001 in the game, which prevents them from adding friends in-game. If you too are encountering this error code in Overwatch 2, consider reading this guide for more details.
Overwatch 2 is a first-person shooter game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment. It is a sequel to the original Overwatch. Similar to the original, it is a hero shooter and replaces the original. The game intends to create a shared environment for player-versus-player (PvP) modes. However, Overwatch 2 offers 5v5 gameplay, unlike the original 6v6. Since the game is free to play, there is a healthy player base that it caters to. But the Error Code 5001 is an issue that has been annoying many. So, is there a fix for it?
Overwatch 2 Error Code 5001: How to fix it?
Fortunately, since many players have reported the issue, the developers have addressed it and released an official article sharing a workaround on how to deal with it. Anyway, here, we have shared a bunch of effective workarounds along with the official fix for you to try and get rid of this error once and for all.
According to Blizzard support, this issue occurs when your Battle.net friends’ request list is close to full. So cancelling the pending request may resolve the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Blizzard Battle.net application and go to Settings.
- Now, locate the cogwheel icon and click on it.
- Next, choose the Friends and Chat tab, select the View Sent Friend Requests option, and remove the pending friend requests.
- Once done, try sending friend requests to other players and check if you still encounter the error code 5001.
Clear Cache files of Battle.net
Well, there are many players for whom the above fix didn’t work. If you are one of them, you can try this workaround. Sometimes the cache files could interrupt the game’s ability to function properly. Hence, after trying the official fix, it is advised to clear the cache files of the Battle.net application. Follow the below steps to do so:
- First, exit out of OW2 and the Battle.net application.
- Open the Task Manager and navigate to the Processes tab.
- Now, find and right-click on any Battle.net-related processes and click End Process.
- After this, press Windows Key+R to open the Run dialogue.
- Now, type %ProgramData% into the Run field and press Enter.
- You are now in the Program Data directory of your system. Here, you need to find and delete the Blizzard Entertainment folder.
- Once you do this, launch the Battle.net application, and then launch Overwatch 2.
Reinstall the game
Lastly, if the above workarounds don’t work, then reinstall the game. A fresh installation might be all you need to get rid of this error code in-game.
Well, that was all for this guide to resolving Error Code 5001 in Overwatch 2. Nevertheless, if the issue persists, contact Blizzard support. We hope that this guide was helpful. For more such guides and updates, visit DigiStatement daily. Also read: Baldur’s Gate 3 (BG3) Respec Choices Pending Bug: Is there any fix yet