CHICAGO — Marcus Stroman got revenge on his former team Wednesday night, and he let the Mets know it.
The Cubs right-hander pounded his chest and screamed into the visitor’s dugout at Wrigley Field after getting Francisco Alvarez to hit into a double play to complete the eighth inning.
The gesture didn’t go unnoticed by the Mets.
“What did we do to him?” one Met asked rhetorically after the team’s 4-2 loss to the Cubs.
One Mets player who witnessed the scene was more critical of Stroman.
“Show some respect,” the player said. “Be a professional. It isn’t all about you.”
Stroman pitched for the Mets in 2019 and 2021; he opted out from participating during the COVID-shortened season in 2020.
After the Mets chose not to re-sign him, he received a three-year deal from the Cubs worth $71 million.
He allowed two earned runs on four hits over eight innings in winning his first career game against the Mets.
On Twitter after the game, Stroman posted a shushing face emoji.
Omar Narvaez’s road back to the Mets is scheduled to begin Thursday in Coney Island.
The veteran catcher, according to manager Buck Showalter, will start a rehab assignment with the Single-A Brooklyn Cyclones in his return from a left calf strain that has kept him on the injured list since April 7.
In Narvaez’s absence, the rookie Alvarez has emerged as the team’s primary catcher.
Showalter said the plan is to keep Narvaez with the Cyclones through Saturday before moving him to Triple-A Syracuse. Narvaez is eligible for removal from the IL on June 6, and the manager expects the catcher will be ready at that point.
The Mets will have tough decisions — the expectation is they will keep just two catchers. Gary Sanchez was recently promoted from Triple-A Syracuse to serve as Alvarez’s backup, and Tomas Nido is on a minor-league rehab assignment with Single-A St. Lucie following dry eye syndrome that was affecting his vision.
Omar NarvaezUSA TODAY Sports via Reuters Con
“I think [Nido] is very close to being ready,” Showalter said. “He got through some things. He feels good and is seeing well.”
Pete Alonso’s hip gyrations in celebration as he grabbed the railing in front of the dugout went viral on the internet last week, but the first baseman said it’s not something he plans on continuing.
“It was just a one- or two-time thing,” Alonso said.
On another front, Showalter said this week on Michael Kay’s radio show that it bothered him that Alonso had dropped the F-bomb during a live SNY postgame interview. Alonso, however, said the manager hasn’t spoken to him about it.
“I said it,” Alonso said. “Can’t take it back.”