CISA or Certified Information System Auditors is a certification training program that builds a strong foundation for a successful IT career. For an entry-level to mid-level IT professional, the CISA certification can show his expertise in planning, executing, and reporting audit engagements.
The certification is offered by ISACA (Information Systems Audit and Control Association) to individuals to ensure the management, monitoring, and protection of an IT organization's business systems. It is created for audit managers, IT auditors, security professionals, and consultants. The certification is issued after the successful completion of application processes and comprehensive testings.
Getting a CISA® certification is advantageous as it is accepted by every global industry and is required to grab reputable IT positions such as security information managers and auditors. Further, it provides multiple career opportunities and increases job visibility. The certification can help get a recruiter's attention while applying for an IT role.
What Are the Roles & Responsibilities of a CISA Professional?
The primary role of a CISA professional includes-
- Planning audits to determine the safety and management of IT assets.
- Implementing a risk-based audit strategy for IT systems.
- Sharing audit outcomes and providing suggestions to the management based on them.
- Executing compliance audits as per the organization's set guidelines and standards.
- Performing audit reassessments to ensure the implementation of the suggestions given by the management.
The role of a CISA professional is not only limited to audit controls. They work with authorities to confirm organizational plans and processes for the implementation and operation of the IT systems and market the organization's strategies and objectives.
What is the CISA® Exam Cost?
The CISA® exam fee depends on the type of membership an individual chooses at the time of registration. ISACA members pay $575, whereas non-members pay $760. Further, the overall cost for the exam varies based on an individual's knowledge and experience.
For mid-level professionals, ISACA provides a self-prep solution subscription valid for up to 12 months. These solutions cover 1000+ sample questions with answers and explanations. To avail of this subscription, ISACA non-members pay $399, while members pay $299.
For newbies, there is an instructor-led test prep course. It allows them to choose in-person or virtual instructor-led conferences and training. The training cost can be high as $1,400 for in-person sessions to slightly low as $1,000 for virtual-led classes.
Further, there is also an extra cost for maintaining or getting the certification. The application fee for this is $50 for both members and non-members.
What Are the Benefits of CISA Training Certification?
The certification training program comes with numerous advantages in terms of economic and personal growth. These include;
- The market for experts- Not every IT professional needs to have a CISA certificate, but as the industry is continuously growing, so does the requirement for certified IT professionals who can protect IT system assets. This certification is a well-renowned qualification in the IT auditing field and opens different doors in the related field. Many employers ask for this certification as a prerequisite while applying for any job. It shows recruiters that the candidate is ideal for the position and is serious about working as an auditor.
- Get a decent salary- IT auditors are expected to have a decent salary within a few years of work. According to Glassdoor, the average annual salary of a CISA professional is US $1,43,443 based on experience and the company's size. Further, there is an average boost or hike in pay of 22% as per the ISACA report. No doubt that this certification brings a massive financial advantage to professionals.
- Globally recognized certification- The certification makes individuals competent IT professionals at a global level. If they are looking for an overseas opportunity, having a CISA certificate will make them a career potential and allow them to work in both the public and private sectors. Also, if they want to serve their nation, this credential will help them get a decent position in any industry.
How to Get the CISA Certification?
Candidates need to follow the steps given below to get the certification.
- Verify the eligibility for the certification program.
- Complete the CISA training.
- Earn CPE credits as per the requirement.
Appear for the CISA examination
- Make a profile on the ISACA website.
- Log in to the website and register for the exam (the registration is valid for up to 12 months).
- Accept the exam's terms and conditions.
- Pay the exam fee.
- Use the ISACA scheduling guide to book the exam date.
- Score more than or equal to 450 points to pass the exam.
Become a CISA professional
- Apply after clearing the exam to the ISACA and pay the processing fee.
- Agree to the Continuing Professional Program and Code of Professional Ethics.
- Get the CISA certification.
The CISA exam consists of five domains. These include Protection of Information Assets, Information Systems Operations and Business Resilience, Information Systems Acquisition, Development and Implementation, Governance and Management of IT, and Information System Auditing Process.
A candidate needs to score a cumulative of more than or equal to 450 marks to get the certification.
CISA® certification training helps you gain a lot of skillsets, including IS Acquisition and Development- Learn IT systems development, acquisition and implementation, IT Governance and Management- Learn how to develop IT strategies, Data Governance Policies- Learn to measure data governance policy efficacy, Review Enterprise Architecture- Learn how to review enterprise architecture, and IT Maintenance Practises- Learn to maintain practices suitable for business goals.
What skills will CISA training develop? With the help of CISA training, you can develop a myriad of essential skills, including Information System Evaluation, Security Program Efficacy, Monitor IT KPIs, Improving IT policies, Protection of IT Assets, and Implementation of IT Audit Standards.
If IT candidates are willing to build a career in auditing, then CISA® certification is the best choice to consider. It is a widely recognized certification and brings multiple benefits ranging from salary perspective to individual learning.
It is always wise to learn a new set of skills as it keeps you interested and going forward towards a successful career path.